Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Moving Forward


I'm pleased to announce that our web design is finished and that over the month of May, we'll be applying the design and moving our working instance over to a live, advertised URL!  It's all coming together!  Also during the next few weeks, I'm going to be wrapping up some of the work here at Luther.  I'm going to finish importing the inventories that will be finished by the student workers this semester, then synthesize exactly what needs to be accomplished over the summer by Rachel and our student worker.  Additionally, I'll show her what I've been doing and teach her some tips/tricks on how to maintain the catalog for new additions.  This will be particularly helpful, as it's hoped that our small backlog will be tackled this summer.

In June, I'll be starting at Vesterheim.  I intend to first assess the collections and then come up with a work plan.  Now that I've been playing with Archon enough to know how it works and the different methods of data input, I should be able to have a pretty good plan within a week or so.  I'll stay at Vesterheim, working on their archival collections through the end August.  It's a much smaller collection and they already have inventory lists, so it should be a relatively straight-forward process.  I'll again summarize what I've been doing there, how to continue inputting data on an infrequent basis (it isn't really a growing collection), and then teach the museum registrar the tips/tricks on maintaining their repository materials in Archon.

When the academic year begins in September (contingent upon a budget extension due to the parenting leaves), I'll finish up and polish the work that was done over the summer without me.  I'll wrap up the remaining inventories and then tend to the extra projects we've come up with.  Particularly, I'd like to implement the QR code cataloging system that will link the box locations with the catalog URLs.  I'd also like to import Luther College's "Iconic Historical Photos" as digital content in Archon.  I'd also like to try to write a paper or article for presentation or publication about this project.  I think that we've really covered a lot of new ground that may be helpful for others starting projects similar to this.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds like you've got a lot going on! Excellent. :)

    ReplyDelete